[Tweeters] dogs, people & owls at Damon Point

plkoyama at comcast.net plkoyama at comcast.net
Wed Feb 13 08:41:53 PST 2013

Dianna,
Since the property is in the process of changing hands to DNR, to which authority would concerned birders write letters? The Mayor of Ocean Shores? Last year it was so discouraging to see the owls being harassed by photographers and unleashed dogs running through shorebird flocks, that we decided not to return this year. You will recall that funds were collected from fellow Tweeters and that Guy McWethy took the time and trouble to purchase and install an informational sign re. the Snowies. But that depended on citizens passing that particular sign and caring more about the owls than they do their particular viewing goal. And even leashed dogs are little comfort to wildlife, though leashing would be an improvement. I recall an article in Audubon Mag. describing a study which showed decreased bird census on trails where leashed dogs were allowed, since man’s best friend was still regarded as a furry predator. The concluding sentence was something to the effect of would you want to frequent an area where someone is walking with a leashed lion? At the time I was impressed, though I don’t know how that applies to lone humans walking on trails! Anyway, got any hints as to where to write?
Penny Koyama, Bothell
plkoyama at comcast dot net