[Tweeters] Re: Snowy Owls and people at Damon Point

calliopehb at comcast.net calliopehb at comcast.net
Tue Feb 12 21:29:58 PST 2013

I read this and was sort of in agreement and dismayed all boiled up together. I have been a birder for over 25 years and have seen how some people let their dogs run everywhere. They have not concern with the things around themselves . I have seen people who post here on tweeters, feel they are the exception to the rule of keeping distance in order to photograph a rare bird. I try always to be careful to not encroach in order to get a better look at an interesting bird. I have in the past 2 years become a dog person and often have a dog with me when I am out birding. I keep my dog on a leash and to date, this has not ever been  an issue. I also am a photographer ( not professional, by any stretch ) who likes to take pictures of birds, among other things of interest. I have felt the snobbishness of some in my birding community since I have added a dog to the scene. Please make sure you look at the person, their behavior before you feel the need to lie about what discoveries you have found. Seems a bit on the uppity side to me. I love the fact that so many people enjoy the wildlife around us. I always appreciated the people who were gracious and helpful as I was learning to appreciate birds and not judgmental as I was not the premier expert.

Happily birding,

Beth Thompson

Arlington, WA

\\  //