[Tweeters] Cooper's on feeder

plkoyama at comcast.net plkoyama at comcast.net
Tue Feb 12 11:09:49 PST 2013

Tweets,

While reading the Sunday paper this weekend, my peripheral vision caught some heavy flapping on our tube feeder, which is one of those squirrel-resistant ones (ha ha) atop a small tray and inside of a cage. Moving to the window, I was shocked to see that it was a mature, female Cooper’s Hawk, the biggest bird you can imagine on a feeder. I said to David that I didn’t know hawks ate seeds, but she sure seemed to be working at it, poking and flapping. When she finally flew off, upon examining the messy-looking feeder, we realized that she had been after a Pine Siskin that had apparently attempted to hide on the tray, opposite the stabbing Cooper’s. I think the siskin got away, but it left behind several soft feathers in the escape. We assume she is the same accipiter that visited us several times last year as a clumsy, dinosaur-like juvenile, stomping around and never catching anything.

Penny Koyama, Bothell
plkoyama at comcast dot net