[Tweeters] sudden sunny afternoon spurs sprint to Stanwood - 2/7/13

Barbara Deihl barbdeihl at comcast.net
Mon Feb 11 14:37:37 PST 2013

I think you'll get the picture (!) that it was a real nice afternoon get-away last Thur., even though I didn't catch a glimpse of the Eide Rd Prairie Falcon . Similar experience yesterday (Sun.) when my visit was again idyllic, but produced neither of the falcons I thought I might see, the Prairie and the Gyr (at the Samish Flats). But there was a gorgeous Peregrine Falcon on a dead top of a fir on Thomle Rd. yesterday. Thur. was the more birdy afternoon for me, plus I had my camera with me. Yesterday, I didn't, but I found that took the pressure off me to 'perform' ! - kinda nice just to soak everything in. Saw no Snowy Owls yesterday. Did see about 4 Short-eared Owls in the Thomle/Boe field and another 4 at Eide - check out my great flight shots of one (great for me and my point&shoot :-). Then yesterday, as I left West 90 and headed toward Edison, in the dark, I had 4 Shortears fly across the road ahead of me, with no deadly consequences noted. The Long-eared Owl was not presenting itself at 5:30 yesterday at West 90. Northern Harriers were in abundance, at all the sites, both days, including 2 or 3 male harriers. Saw a Peregrine along Bayview- Edison Rd last evening, too. 2 Roughlegged Hawks were visible yesterday, too (and one Thur.), one in the Thomle field and one on a post near Davis Slough (near Eide Rd.)

The rest of the marvels of each of the 2 days had to do with sky, clouds, air, light, lack of wind, warmish temps, some sun, minimal people, no hunters that I either heard or saw (another birder heard some at Eide) an easy drive and good tunes accompanying the outing - it reminded me of previous trips to Central WA, although this time I was bopping and singing along - no state trooper needed to pull me over for weaving around, however - I kept it under control. :-)

Here are the pics I took last Thur. http://flic.kr/s/aHsjDX7fc4 and you can also look at some recent Ballard Snowy shots in another set from Friday the 8th.

The day was picture-perfect even if my pictures aren't !

Barb Deihl

North Matthews Beach - NE Seattle

barbdeihl at comcast.net