[Tweeters] Possible Arctic Loon at Priest Rapids (sent with trepidation) and other cool stuff

Denny Granstrand dgranstrand at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 22:13:13 PST 2013

Hi Tweeters,

I spent today on the Yakima Training Center and at Priest Rapids. I
saw a loon swimming close to the island across the lake in Grant
County that appeared to be an Arctic Loon. I should say that Andy
Stepniewski and I saw a Common Loon several weeks ago that showed
white patches on the sides like an Arctic Loon but it was definitely a
Common Loon.

Because of the great distance, nearly all of the way across the lake,
my photos are not good. They might even be rated closer to pathetic.
This will need other observers getting closer looks at the bird. I am
fairly certain that it was not the same loon that Andy and I saw. The
photos I took don't show it but I did see a very small white patch
near the rear end of the loon, which further indicates Arctic Loon.

On my first stop this morning on the YTC, the focus knob on my scope
broke, so I couldn't focus the scope. As I was looking at the Tufted
Duck, I got the idea to try to slide the eyepiece in and out a little
to see if that would focus the scope. With a little practice I was
able to get the scope to focus. The photos of the Tufted Duck,
White-winged Scoters and the loon were take with the scope focused
that way. There are times you just can't give up!

Highlights:

One unusual loon.
Male adult Tufted Duck on Priest Rapids Lake about three miles north of the dam.
Six (6) White-winged Scoters about two miles north of the dam.
Close look at a Canyon Wren while along the lake.
Two Gray-crowned Rosy-Finches on Hog Butte Ranch on the YTC near the
top of the ridge.

Only one Red-tailed Hawk along Priest Rapids, none on the YTC.
No Rough-legged Hawks or American Kestrels.
One Golden Eagle on the YTC and three Bald Eagles along Priest Rapids.

Photos of some of the birds mentioned above, including Tufted Duck,
White-winged Scoters, Canyon Wren and the loon are in the new photos
folder on my website:

http://www.granstrand.net/gallery/newphotos

Denny Granstrand

Denny Granstrand