[Tweeters] Ballard Snowy STILL there

Barbara Deihl barbdeihl at comcast.net
Sat Feb 9 16:23:58 PST 2013

Hi Ed and Tweets,

There had been 2 Snowies in Ballard for most of the winter - for at least the past month or maybe longer, people had seen them get into little skirmishes each evening at the start of hunting time. One resident bicycling by last evening, said there had been quite a blow-out fight between the two, a day or two previously. Territoriality rearing it's defiant head?

Some of us found only one yesterday, but I don't know how much looking for the other one went on - I was satisfied to watch the one perch and move around from a birch across the street from the park on 34th, to a curvy-trunked conifer on the southern border of the park near 74th. I will post a link to some photos of that owl on my Flickr site ASAP.

We watched the owl for a couple of hours (3:30-5:30 p.m.). Also, a Merlin was seen atop a conifer a couple of blocks away. I will include a photo of that Merlin in my Flickr set with the Snowy shots.

Barb Deihl

North Matthews Beach - NE Seattle

barbdeihl at comcast.net