[Tweeters] Rufous hummingbird today

notcalm at comcast.net notcalm at comcast.net
Thu Feb 7 22:12:01 PST 2013

Tweeters,

Sitting with a patient today, I was surprised to hear the wing buzz of a hummingbird at the feeder four feet away from me and next to an open window. My wife put this feeder up a few years back and we all enjoy watching the Anna's at close range through-out the year. I was surprised because Anna's wing beats are almost silent and I usually hear the "chick" call note, male song or chase call. The patient is someone who enjoys birds- she said "look". I turned and found a Male Rufous Hummer at the feeder and watched as this beauty returned many times to the feeder. Very neat. Just before dark an Anna's returned.

I did not know they returned this early. Anyone else seen them recently?

Dan Reiff
Mercer Island