[Tweeters] Blue left 50 Wing-tagged Red-tail

Bud Anderson falconresearch at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 12:51:00 PST 2013

Hi Jack,

I captured this Red-tail at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport on 1
November 2011. I then transported it to Skagit County on the same day and
released it on Bow Hill above the Samish Flats. It was a juvenile at the
time but would be in adult plumage by now. He is probably thinking about
breeding and may have even established a pair bond at this point in his
life.

Our purpose in transporting him was to move him away the runways of our
major airport. Red-tails are often struck by aircraft at other airports and
we are working with the Port of Seattle to reduce this outcome at SEA, a
desirable result for both the bird and aircraft. Thanks should go to Steve
Osmek, Port of Seattle biologist, for initiating this program.

Thus far, we have re-located or tagged 468 raptors, 258 of them Red-tails,
the majority by far.

Blue left 50 is one of the stars of the program. He has been sighted near
La Conner 7 times by different people. Dates range from 15 Jan 2012 , 01
Feb, 13 April, 13 June, 5 Sept, 1 Jan 2013 and now your sighting. Since he
stays here all summer, we consider him a resident, and not a migrant,
Red-tail.

Oh yes....the reason for the large blue numbered tag is to have people like
you notice him. Seemed to be working.

We have one adult male that has worn his tag for 12 years now, a record for
us. He is still breeding too.

So Blue left 50 has settled into the Skagit area quite well. We love to
hear about these sightings, to know the bird is doing OK and that our
efforts are warranted.

Thank you for taking the time to report it.

Bud Anderson
Falcon Research Group
Box 248
Bow, WA 98232