[Tweeters] Thick-billed Murre & Ancient Murrelets

Michael Fleming michaelfleming01 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 11:16:57 PST 2013

Yesterday I made the trip over to Port Angeles for the THICK-BILLED
MURRE and located it within 20 minutes of arriving. I started out
early catching the 5:35 am ferry from Edmonds to Kingston and getting
to Ediz Hook in Port Angeles a little after sunrise. The water was
calm on the harbor side of the hook and a little choppy on the
opposite side. The murre was where it has been reported for the last
few days, between the two large vessels in the harbor (a little
distant but good views).
After leaving Port Angeles I stopped for about 45 minutes at the
John Wayne Marina in Sequim and then for an hour or so at Fort Worden
State Park (Point Wilson) in Port Townsend. It seems like Fort Worden
State Park is always quite windy whenever I put in a visit and
yesterday was no exception. Still, even though the water was a little
rough I was able to get some decent views of birds flying by and those
in the water closer to shore. A small group of ANCIENT MURRELETS were
the highlight at this location.

Some additional birds observed included:

BRANT - at John Wayne Marina and Fort Worden State Park
HARLEQUIN DUCK - Ediz Hook and Fort Worden State Park
LONG-TAILED DUCK - Ediz Hook
BLACK OYSTERCATCHER - one at Ediz Hook (just standing on a log) and
one at John Wayne Marina
MARBLED MURRELET - 4 at John Wayne Marina and quite a few fly bys at
Fort Worden State Park

Cheers and Good Birding;

Michael Fleming
Ballard, Washington