[Tweeters] Fox Sparrow killed and hung by a Northern Shrike

Denny Granstrand dgranstrand at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 14:40:43 PST 2013

Hi Tweeters,

On the Yakima Valley CBC on Dec. 29, I found a Fox Sparrow hanging
from a barbed wire fence with its breast eaten. I presumed it was
caught by a Northern Shrike. It was the first time I have seen
evidence of a shrike kill. I hadn't imagined a shrike could take a
bird as large as a Fox Sparrow. Pretty gruesome end of a bird. A photo
is in the new photos folder on my website:

http://www.granstrand.net/gallery/newphotos

It is not a pleasant picture.

Denny Granstrand

Denny Granstrand