[Tweeters] Canada sojourn

Alan Roedell alanroedell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 20:23:15 PST 2013

Hi All,

We just got back from a whirlwind trip to New Westminster, Vancouver, and
Reifel. A passport is required to get across the border. We took our dog
and no questions were asked. The Red-flanked Bluetail {RFBL} was flitting
around the open woodland in Queens Park northwest of the children's
playground in poor light but easy to see. The Brambling (BRAM) appeared in
the brambles-how appropriate is that?- in the alley behind 868 W 17th Ave.
in Vancouver. Allow an hour to get there from Queens Park. Reifel is
about 45 minutes from the Brambling site and is well worth the slight
detour. Be sure and buy a packet of birdseed at the entrance. The
chickadees will eat out of your hand. So will the Sandhill Cranes, but
they have a wicked bill. We saw 2 Saw-whet Owls that broke our hearts with
their innocent beauty.

Good birding,,Alan Roedell, Seattle alanroedell at gmail.com