[Tweeters] Edmonds Roundup - Last of 2013

Carol Riddell cariddellwa at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 16:30:39 PST 2013

December has been a slow birding month around Edmonds, despite a
thorough check of all public spots during the Edmonds CBC on December
21st. Area 1 includes most of Edmonds and some slices of Mountlake
Terrace and Lynnwood. This report only covers Edmonds. During count
week we came up with all three scoters, both goldeneyes, both scaups,
Harlequins, and Hooded and Red-breasted Mergansers. By the end of
count week we had all three loons. While we got Double-crested and
Pelagic Cormorants, Brandt's, which we have seen consistently all
fall, was a big miss. Pigeon Guillemots, Common Murres, and Rhinoceros
Auklets were seen. We added Western Grebes during count week. No
murrelets, Clark's Grebe, or Bonaparte's and California Gulls were
seen. The sole lingering Heermann's Gull disappeared before count week
started.

We did get all five woodpeckers, both kinglets, all three wrens, and
three warblers (Yellow-rumped, Townsend's, and Orange-crowned). City
Park, which is often a big Deadsville, produced our first three
Pacific Wrens of the day as well as two Brown Creepers. A sole Marsh
Wren was found in the Edmonds marsh towards day's end. There had been
three before the big freeze. We found Bald Eagles, a Peregrine Falcon,
and both Common Ravens on count day. We added a Cooper's Hawk for
count week. We had all three expected thrushes: Robin, Varied, and
Hermit Thrush. It took all day to scare up one Hermit Thrush. Along
with Red-winged Blackbirds, we were able to add one Brewer's on the
waterfront. It was dumpster diving at one of the restaurants. An
American Pipit at Brackett's Landing was the best bird species of the
day. The next best sighting (and hearing) was both resident coyotes at
the marsh. They did a lot of barking for a while. The boat counters
saw three Trumpeter Swans in Area 3 and watched them fly along the
shoreline through Area 2 and then into Edmonds waters. That was around
noon when the Edmonds counters were in other parts of Area 1. This was
the second sighting of Trumpeters in 2013.

Recently a lone Cedar Waxwing has been joining the Robins that are
working some berry bushes at Harbor Square along the northwest side of
the property. It is a nice tie up to the year since several Cedar
Waxwings were working those same berry bushes last January. Also of
note, there are over 125 Brants hanging out in the offshore waters
now. Unless something pops out tomorrow, we will end the year with 184
species and plan to have fun starting the year count anew on Wednesday.

Happy New Year to All,

Carol Riddell
Edmonds, WA