[Tweeters] LTDU YBLO - Vashon Island

Pete Fahey peterfahey at comcast.net
Sun Dec 29 20:38:40 PST 2013

Hi Birders:

Sorry for the late post.

I hauled myself from my sickbed on Thursday to venture over to Vashon
Island. Fairly close to the N. Vashon Ferry Terminal I detected a Male
LONG-TAILED DUCK flying to the NE from the area of Colvos Passage. Black
wings and chest and the long tail were obvious. A bunch of the usual
suspects at the terminal, and on to Tramp Harbor.

I parked near the pier, and immediately was able to Id the YELLOW-BILLED
LOON. I was at quite a distance, midway between the Pier and the KVI Tower
beach. There was a Common Loon in close enough proximity for a good
comparison. YBLO has a blocky head, distinctive yellow bill and appears
lighter brown overall then the Common. I went back to the car to get a
camera, and both loons disappeared. I was unable to relocate the YBLO
during the next 30 minutes I was in the area. Perhaps this elusiveness is
why there have been so few reports of this bird. I was able to find at
least 2 Eurasian Wigeon in the large flock of American Wigeon present.

I headed home going south to the Tahlequah Ferry. South of Burton, there
was a large raft of Scoters, and I was surprised that they were mainly
WHITE-WINGED SCOTER, outnumbering the Surf Scoters four to one.

On a local note, if anyone cares, the juvenile SANDHILL CRANE has moved into
the field adjacent to the historic Meadowbrook Farm Interpretive Center.

Pete Fahey

Snoqualmie, WA

---