[Tweeters] Seattle CBC - 'Wild' Turkey Found on the Duwamish East Section Count

johntubbs at comcast.net johntubbs at comcast.net
Sun Dec 29 19:08:03 PST 2013

Hi everyone,

Six of us had a good day counting the Duwamish East section of the Seattle CBC yesterday.  Little did we know we would encounter a turkey toward the end of the day.  Near the southern end of our count area, we pulled over by a footbridge crossing the Duwamish River to check the river and the bank vegetation for birds.  As we exited the car, we all heard turkey vocalizations.  And there on the sidewalk was a 'wild' (by plumage anyway) turkey, accompanied by a chicken.  (No, I'm not making this up - we have a photo.)  Of course, we all immediately thought  this would be a very cool species to check off on the find list - no doubt an all-time first.  That was quickly squashed when one of the residents in the area informed us  the turkey's name is Geraldine.  We weren't sure, but we figured that somewhere in the counting rules for the CBC it says that any bird which has a proper name and has introduced itself to neighbors in the area is not countable under any circumstances.  The person who informed us of the bird's name then asked for our  assistance in herding Geraldine and her faithful chicken companion back to the proper yard, from which they are apparently periodic escapees.

Geraldine and her companion proved to be very adept at avoiding all herding attempts, even with our crew, neighbor number one and her leashed dog (who apparently had seen Geraldine before and appeared to be very bored with the whole situation) and then a second neighbor .  The second neighbor  eventually produced a bag of seed or grain and proceeded to lure the two birds down the street one treat at a time until they were safely back in their proper yard.

Who keeps a turkey in their yard in a nice suburban neighborhood anyway?  And why name it Geraldine...?

John Tubbs

Snoqualmie, WA

johntubbs at comcast.net