[Tweeters] Mostly Okanogan Co

Stefan Schlick greenfant at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 23 19:58:35 PST 2013

I spent the last 3 days mostly in Okanogan and Douglas Co scouting for an upcoming WOS field trip. I've been checking a few new places this time, but it seems the (somewhat few) birds were all at the well-known places. Yes, overall birding is slow, probably due to lack of a decent amount of snow.
Here the bounty:
American Tree Sparrow (Scotch Creek Basin overlook, several at Bridgeport Hill Rd)Harlan's Hawk (Riverside Cutoff Rd)Bohemian Waxwing (2 at Nealey Rd feeders; ~200 along 173 between Brewster and Bridgeport)Snow Bunting (~150 just above Havillah)Three-toed Woodpecker (1 at Highlands Sno Park)Short-eared Owl (1 at Abel Ranch gate, Cameron Lake Rd)2 Northern Pygmy-Owls and 2 Golden Eagles along Bolster RdNorthern Goshawk (1 at Mary Ann Creek Rd)Sharp-tailed Grouse (great looks at a single bird on Mary Ann Creek Rd)Ruffed Grouse (Mary Ann Creek Rd)
And the lowlights ...
On an excursion to Steamboat Rock SP in Grant Co I found about 20 Wild Turkeys, a Bewick's Wren, but no Long-eared Owls. The Electric City Playland had many of the common ducks, including about 15+ Barrow's Goldeneye. Only 2 Herring Gulls and a Common Loon at the Grand Coulee Dam.Finches seem to be absent from the Highlands, so I'm still missing redpolls, Pine Grosbeak and rosy-finches. Also no crossbills in the Highlands eitherNo sawwhet-owls at Bridgeport SP, not even any whitewashI unsuccessfully tried for Sharp-tailed Grouse at Scotch Creek (there is snow, but probably not enough) and Bridgeport Hill Rd (no snow)I spent a late afternoon on Pontiac Ridge. There is good habitat for Great Gray Owl along Pontiac Ridge and Greer roads. I also know that birds have been seen there, but
The personal highlight was seeing a total of 6 GRAY WOLVES at 2 different locations in the Highlands today: A pack of 5 and a single, badly injured animal. The injured wolf was missing a front leg (big wound) and could not use one of his hind legs. If you know who I can contact to report details, please let me know.
Stefan SchlickHillsboro, OR