[Tweeters] Clay-colored Sparrow on Brady Loop and other Grays Harbor stuff

bill shelmerdine georn1 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 20 06:24:24 PST 2013

Good Morning Tweeters,

Yesterday I located a Clay-coloerd Sparrow along Brady Loop Road. The bird was found in a group of 8 White-crowned Sparrows (WCSp) and1 Song Sparrow along the stretch of road between Foster Road to the East and teh green double gate with #329 at the 90 degree corner to the west. It was near the gate abround 830 to 900AM; then I returned in teh afternoon to find it with about 30 WCSp at the intersection of Foster Road. Description and details have been posted to ebird. There was also a remarkable number of Western Meadowlarks in the area. I counted 30 or so in the morning and about 120 in the PM, moving from field to field and perhaps preparing to roost.

Elsewhere in Grays Harbor County I located a Hermit Thrush (tough this year for me) near Johns River, a 1st year Glaucous Gull at Westhaven, a Great Egret on the inner bay at Westport, and an immature Northern Shrike at the Grayland Beach access. A good, though rather cold day in the field.

Cheers and good birding,

Bill Shelmerdine

Olympia