[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 12/18/13

scrubjay323 at aol.com scrubjay323 at aol.com
Thu Dec 19 09:26:18 PST 2013

Tweets,

Yesterday 26 of us enjoyed a good walk at Visually under partly cloudy skies with the temps in the low 40's. We had a 7.5 low tide at 12:47 PM.

The birds weren't as cooperative as I would have liked given the weather but it was a pretty good day.

At the visitor center at the start we had GADWALL, AMERICAN WIGEON, MALARD, RING-NECKED DUCK, and PIED-BILLED GREBE. On the pond in front of the visitor center there were a pair of HOODED MERGANSERS.

The orchard was really quiet but we found a small mixed flock along the maintenance road the included both KINGLETS, BEWICK'S WREN, BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEE, and DOWNEY WOODPECKER. There were NORTHERN PINTAIL and NORTHERN SHOVELERS on the pond toward the freeway.

Raptors were everywhere! A count of BALD EAGLES from the twin barns viewing platform was 15 and there were several NORTHERN HARRIERS and RED-TIALED HAWKS about. I saw a SHARP SHINNED HAWK near the visitor center pond at the end of the walk.

We did manage one EURASIAN WIGEON and had a pair of COMMON GOLDENEYE on McAllister Creek and four COMMON MERGANSERS on the Nisqually River.

There was an AMERICAN BITTERN inside the new dike near the start of the estuary boardwalk.

For the day I had 45 species with nothing new for the year. Mammals seen were BLACK-TAILED DEER and HARBOR SEALS in the Nisqually River.

Until next week when we walk on Tuesday....

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at aol.com
Lacey, WA