[Tweeters] Thick-billed Murre Gardiner Beach

Jfgatchet jfgatchet at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 14:44:25 PST 2013

This morning I observed an adult THICK-BILLED MURRE in breeding plumage on Discovery Bay. I watched the bird for 15 minutes from my yard. This was not the suspect bird I saw yesterday. I believe that bird was refound and it was a Common Murre

The THICK-BILLED MURRE showed clear white sides with no gray or dusky marking on the flanks. The white on belly and breast came to a point on the throat bordered by black of the head and neck. The black on the back was darker than the brownish black on the 5 Common Murres it was swimming with. The dark back and head made it easy to spot.

The bill was less pointed, stouter and looked shorter than the Common Murres, but I could not see the white line at the gape. When it lifted it's wings it showed a light area that looked more extensive than that of the flapping wings of the Common Murre. The overall impression was a darker backed bird with a thicker bill.

John F. Gatchet
Gardiner, WA

Sent from my iPhone