[Tweeters] Says's Phoebe at Toppenish NWR-14 December

Andy Stepniewski steppie at nwinfo.net
Mon Dec 16 11:03:57 PST 2013

Yakkers and Tweeters,

A Say's Phoebe was observed flycatching on and above a frozen pond at
Toppenish NWR on 14 December. The temperature was about 37 F and small
numbers of flying insects ("midges") were noted by birders elsewhere on the
CBC that day. I thought it interesting this phoebe chose a frozen pond for
foraging about rather than a seemingly more "buggy" microenvironment such as
a south-facing rockpile. I welcome any thoughts on insect abundance at such
a site.

This was the 6th observation of a Say's Phoebe spanning the 30-year
Toppenish NWR CBC. Years where one phoebe was tallied in 1984, 1994, 2001,
2002, 2004, and now 2013.

Andy Stepniewski
Wapato WA
steppie at nwinfo.net