[Tweeters] Golden Crowned Kinglet mystery

Devorah the Ornithologist birdologist at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 00:13:02 PST 2013

they may be dying from low body temperatures due to lack of enough food to
get them through the night.

On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 10:11 PM, Linda Phillips <linda_phillips1252 at msn.com

> wrote:

> Hi Tweeters,

> Today in the Kenmore Elem. School Arboretum I found a GCKI stuck in the

> crotch of a twiggy bush http://www.flickr.com/photos/88699795@N03/<http://www.flickr.com/photos/88699795@N03/>

> It was not impale. It appears to have just dropped dead and landed there.

> Most likely it had been there at least overnight because although it was

> not raining at the moment the bird was soaking wet. (I didn't have my

> camera with be at the time so it was a couple of hours later that I snapped

> these pictures, it had dried out somewhat by that time.) There is no

> obvious wounds on the bird.

> In October I found another seemingly unharmed but dead GCKI on the trail

> very close to this same spot.

> Anyone have a suggestion to what is happening to my neighborhood Golden

> Crowns?

> Linda Phillips

> Kenmore 98028

GrrlScientist
Devorah Bennu, PhD
birdologist at gmail.com
http://gplus.to/grrlscientist
http://www.grrlscientist.net/
http://twitter.com/GrrlScientist
http://www.theguardian.com/science/grrlscientist<http://www.guardian.co.uk/grrlscientist>
http://www.scilogs.com/maniraptora/
The most valuable service you can perform is to think independently