[Tweeters] cool yard bird - northern pygmy owl in Electric City

heapbigdoc at netscape.net heapbigdoc at netscape.net
Sat Dec 14 21:31:51 PST 2013

I got home from walking the dog at 2:00 PM this afternoon. The usual gang of winter freeloaders were at the feeders, but there was a song sparrow going bananas on the back fence.

Song sparrows aren't common yard birds for us, but the really cool bird (and I presume the cause of the bananas) was twenty feet away in the bare tree in the neighbor's back yard - a northern pygmy owl, the second one I've ever seen. It hung around long enough for pictures, but had flown away when I checked again about 3:30. Pretty cool.

-Roy Myers, Electric City, Grant Co., WA