[Tweeters] Palm Warblers like it hoppy

Dave Slager dave.slager at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 10:46:30 PST 2013

Tweeters,

Dan's post got me interested in these warblers' microhabitat, so I stopped
by again this morning and looked at the vegetation more closely. The vine
on the fence the bird is spending time in appears to be hops (*Humulus
lupulus*). Seems appropriate given Seattle's fetish for IPAs. As for the
small insects, I'm not sure what those were.

I wonder if it would be productive to check more protected nooks and
crannies around the shores of Lake Union for more urban-overwintering
passerines like this?

Good birding,
Dave Slager
Seattle, WA

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 9:08 PM, <notcalm at comcast.net> wrote:

> Thanks, Dave and others for the reports on the Palm Warbler.

> I saw it feeding in the afternoon. As reported by several others, there

was

> also a very layed-back Townsend's Warbler feeding at the same location.

> Looked like a First Winter Female Townsend's.

> One of the interesting things about this bird's behavior is that it was

> gleaning very small, light colored insects, dead or alive from the leaves

as

> seen in my video frame grabs. The bugs may have been aphids, scale insects

> or the equivalent. Any Bug Expert out there?

> I later wondered if the recent freeze resulted in freeze-dried bugs on the

> ground and pavement. Which could have explained the interest in the

> pavement. I also wondered if a substantial bug die-off occurs during these

> periods of very low temperatures.

> I just looked at Cornell Ornithology- Birds of North America Online, which

> offered much useful Information including:

> "Feeds on honeydew secreted at the tip of threadlike anal tube of scale

> insects, commonly breaking tube (Greenberg et al. 1993).

> Diet

> Little information. Western spruce budworm (Tortricidae) important where

> present (Langelier and Garton 1986). Feeds on caterpillars, moths, winged

> insects, and other invertebrates commonly found on coniferous and

deciduous

> foliage (Gabrielson and Lincoln 1959, SMM). In California Oct–Jan, 31

> specimens contained 95% animal matter (Beal 1907). Of these animal parts,

> 42% were true bugs (Hemiptera, mostly stinkbugs [Pentatomidae]), 25% bees

> and ants (Hymenoptera), 21% beetles (Coleoptera, mostly snout beetles, or

> weevils [Curculionidae]), 12% other insects or spiders. Vegetable foods:

> seeds and leaf galls. Honeydew of scale insects important locally on

winter

> range (Greenberg et al. 1993). In winter, visits feeding stations where

> cheese, marshmallows, and peanut butter are offered (Bent 1953)."

> Cheese, marshmallows and peanut butter?

> Dan Reiff

> Mercer Island

> ________________________________

Boat

> Company. I had prolonged and point-blank views of this rather tame bird,

> but when I first got there I saw 1-2 other "Dendroica"-type warblers

flying

> away from the same location, both with a lot of white in the tail. These

> birds flew towards the west, so it may be worth checking the green spaces

> beneath the I-5 bridge.

> The definitively-ID'd bird was foraging here: 47.654418,-122.320954

> The best part about this sighting was that I identified the bird from

inside

> a King County Metro bus I was riding to UW. The bus stopped at the bus

stop

> to let somebody on, and I could see the warbler foraging and tail-bobbing

on

> the fence just feet from my window. That's the quickest I've ever run

off a