[Tweeters] Townsend's AND Palm Warbler at the bus stop

Nathaniel Peters ncpeters at uw.edu
Tue Dec 10 14:38:18 PST 2013

Hi Tweets,

I ran into Evan Houston this morning at the U-district bus stop where the
Palm Warbler is hanging around, and we had good looks at this bird in the
vines on the fence and on the sidewalk in front of the bus stop around
11:00am. It was quite well behaved, though very active, and gave us good
looks in the vegetation, on the concrete, and in a nearby tree.

Later, at 11:45AM, I came back to the spot with my boss to see if the Palm
Warbler was still around. Evan was still there and said that he had seen
the bird several times in that area and nearby in the last 45 minutes. We
waited for 15 minutes and did not see the bird, but we did have very nice,
unexpected looks at a Townsend's Warbler in the same vegetation on the
chain link fence (must be good for food right now, we thought it was a
little strange to see a Townsend's here....). This bird was present in the
vegetation when we arrived, and we did not even notice it until it moved as
we approached the fence. Even with us being about 5 feet away at that
time, it did not seem to mind our presence and continued to flit around the
vegetation in a confined area.

I wonder what other warblers might find this spot appealing......

-Nathaniel Peters
Seattle, WA
ncpeters at uw.edu