[Tweeters] NIsqually NWR 12/4/13

scrubjay323 at aol.com scrubjay323 at aol.com
Wed Dec 4 15:20:24 PST 2013

Tweets,

Today 20some of us enjoyed a cold walk at Nisqually. It was 27 degrees at the start and didn't warm up much. The good news was the sun was out and there was no wind. It really was pleasant. We had a 7.3 low tide at 12:31PM.

The birds were smarter than we were and were pretty well hunkered down. Many of the ponds were frozen so most of the waterfowl we saw was in the reclamation area or on moving water.

We started out with MALLARDS, GADWALL, AMERICAN WIGEON, RING-NECKED DUCKS and PIED-BILLED GREBE on the pond behind the visitor center that was partially frozen. Across the parking lot were a small flock of GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE in the grass.

In the willows near there we spotted a NORTHERN SHRIKE and had a brief appearance of a RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER. Along the boardwalk to the twin barns we picked up a few TOWHEES, GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLETS, SONG SPARROWS, and BROWN CREEPER. Not many but a few.

Out in the reclamation area we had DUNLIN, NORTHER PINTAIL, GREEN-WINGED TEAL, BUFFLEHEAD, a lone GREATER YELLOWLEGS and a EURASIAN WIGEON among others.

There were several BALD EAGLES and RED-TAILED HAWKS about as well as a couple of NORTHERN HARRIERS. We did not see any PEREGRINE FALCONS while I was there.

Coming off the new dike we had great views of a PILIATED WOODPECKER tearing into a snag at eye level. He was still there when we left.

For the day I had 38 species with nothing new for the year. The only mammal seen was a BLACK-TAILED DEER.

Shep will fill in the rest of the sightings when he does his ebird report.

Until next week.....

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at aol.com
Lacey, WA