[Tweeters] Forecast: Snow(y)

Nathaniel Peters ncpeters at uw.edu
Mon Dec 2 15:56:39 PST 2013

Hi Tweets,

My father just forwarded me the following posting on the Georgia birding
listserv, and I am now forwarding it on to you. If the owls in Bermuda,
North Carolina, and Newfoundland (see below) are any sign, it could "Snow"
pretty hard this winter!

Nathaniel Peters
Seattle, WA
ncpeters at uw.edu

Hi all,
I apologize for posting a record from far to the north and I try not
to overdramatize things, but I think this may interest many...recently
I heard murmurings from several parts of the Arctic and sub-Arctic
that owls were staging some sort of mass exodus. Today between 73 and
83 snowies were seen off Newfoundland's east coast, doubling the
existing record for one day (and 4 times the one-day record for
Ontario). A few snowies and northern hawk owls have popped up from
Maine to Delaware in the past week. There is a noticeable crescendo in
whispers among ornithologists about global warming possibly rewriting
the book on northern raptor movements. The long range implications may
be as exciting as what happened today. . Maybe everyone for whom hope
springs eternal should start checking every rooftop, every high tower
and hillock and lone tree...just in case.
James Gibson
Maryland/Georgia