[Tweeters] Liberty Lake SWAMP SPARROW today

Tim O'Brien kertim7179 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 2 12:52:23 PST 2013

Hi all,

With a day off work today, I headed directly to Liberty Lake this morning to search for the previously reported Swamp Sparrow.  I arrived at 8:00am and didn't find the sparrow until 11:00am.  I worked the boardwalk area three separate times with the last time being the lucky one.  I did note that about this time it felt a bit warmer and the wind died down a bit.  Also, seeing Jon Isacoff's eBird report from 10:00am-ish, he found it today before I did.  Still...I got very good looks and some awesome photos of a bird that before today I had only heard before.

If you go, I would suggest quickly before the arctic cold hits us.  Go to the amphitheater / boardwalk and walk out to the end.  The Swamp Sparrow initially approached from the east.

Also, noteworthy was a huge raft of Common Mergansers on the lake.  I counted 550 birds!  Several Marsh Wrens were around the viewing platform at the end of the boardwalk as well.  eBird list to come later...

Tim O'Brien
Cheney, WA
mailto: kertim7179 at yahoo.com