[Tweeters] Marymoor Park (Redmond, King Co., WA) 2013-08-29

Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Aug 29 15:16:19 PDT 2013

Tweets – we got sucky weather this morning, with overcast, drizzle, and rain. Luckily it wasn’t cold or windy, but it was definitely wet – a good reminder to replace boots or to rewaterproof coats before winter. Not much in the way of birds for most of the morning, but we were thrilled to spot a new bird for the park – LONG-TAILED JAEGER.

Highlights:

Northern Pintail 5 flyby. First August sighting ever
Common Merganser At least 3
LONG-TAILED JAEGER Flew a couple of circles over Dog Meadow
Red-breasted Sapsucker Two sightings; only woodpecker
MERLIN Tangling up with crows at aspen grove
Orange-crowned, Yellow, Black-throated Gray, and Wilson’s Warblers

A gorgeous LONG-TAILED JAEGER flew a couple of circles over the Dog Meadow at about 8:30 a.m. before lazily flying off towards Lake Sammamish. In mid-September, 2008, we had a quick fly-over jaeger which we had left as Parasitic/Long-tailed. That was the only previous jaeger for the park list. Today’s bird had an incredibly long tail, and was graceful, slim, and long-winged.

The MERLIN and the AMERICAN CROWS spent an awful lot of time chasing each other around near the aspen grove that sits between the road to Lot D (the western Dog Area parking lot) and the grass soccer fields to the east. We watched for about 5 minutes, and they were still going at it when we came by again a half hour later.

For the day, just 46 species. Notable misses included Green Heron, Glaucous-winged Gull, Downy Woodpecker, Northern Flicker, Warbling Vireo, Marsh Wren, Swainson’s Thrush, European Starling, Red-winged Blackbird, and House Finch. We also had no Rufous Hummingbird, Western Wood-Pewee, or Brown-headed Cowbird, but those species often start disappearing around this time of year. I had to go back for one last look from the Viewing Mound to get Savannah Sparrow...

The NORTHERN PINTAIL were new for the year, as of course was the Long-tailed Jaeger (which replaces the “Parasitic/Long-tailed” on the park list, so the park list remains at 222). Tony Ernst reported an AMERICAN BITTERN on 8/20, which I believe brings the year total to 146 species.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com