[Tweeters] Smith's Longspur and Buff-breasted Sandpiper at the Game Range today

Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Sun Aug 25 18:07:58 PDT 2013

Tweets – I lead a WFO field trip today to Ocean Shores, where we had a really good day.

At the Jetty, the fog was thick at first, but there was a massive feeding frenzy immediately offshore, featuring about 1000 Brown Pelicans, 1000 Heermann’s Gulls, 500 Common Murres, and several glimpses of Sooty Shearwater, some within 30 feet of shore. After about a half an hour, the fog cleared, and we could see a steady stream of Sooties heading south. We had Surfbird, Black Turnstone, and Wandering Tattler on the jetty flanks.

At the Game Range, we walked in from the STP end, and managed to find the SMITH’S LONGSPUR after about 15 minutes of searching. It was found near the channel, but unfortunately it quickly took wing and flew across to the other end of the Game Range. A few people saw it on the ground; the rest had to settle for flight views and calls.

We then went around to the Tonquin Ave. access. As we walked around to the far side of the pond, a BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER obliged us by landing quite close, giving us good looks.

We had a single BAIRD’S SANDPIPER on the channel side at the Hoquiam STP, and a PECTORAL SANDPIPER or two shortly after the Buff-breasted.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com