[Tweeters] Eastern Wood-Pewee & Grant County Birding

Michael Fleming michaelfleming01 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 08:10:26 PDT 2013

Yesterday I made a trip over to the Moses Lake area for the EASTERN
WOOD-PEWEE and the bird was easily found (nice that it was singing
away). I ran into quite a few other birders who had come over for the
pewee and were checking out all the shorebirds at Lind Coulee and
surrounds.
I had decided to stop by the Desert Wildlife area to try and pick
up a Forster's Tern for the year but missed out. Although I did have
an AMERICAN BITTERN which was only my second for Grant County (not
easy to come by over there). I also found a MINK working amongst the
cattails near where the bittern was seen.
I then made a stop at the I-90 Frontage Road Ponds which are
located near the rest area (on the south side of I-90) just before the
Dodson Road exit heading east. Steve Pink stopped by as I was
checking things out and we birded the area together. There was
nothing out of the ordinary here but it does have potential for
something unusual to show up and is worth checking out. We had
WESTERN, LEAST, and SPOTTED SANDPIPERS along with GREATER YELLOWLEGS
and a LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER.
Overall a nice quick trip to Grant County with a new state bird...

Cheers and Good Birding;

Michael Fleming
Ballard, Washington
michaelfleming01 AT gmail.com