[Tweeters] Gray Jay Picking Cat-tail Moss (Isothecium myosuroides)

Vincent Lucas vincentlucas5 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 12:23:11 PDT 2013

Yesterday, 08/22/2013, I saw this Gray Jay picking what I think is Cat-tail
Moss (Isothecium myosuroides) on Deer Park Rd., Olympic National Park, 47°
58' 36.3", -123° 17' 32.6", Near Port Angeles, Clallam Co., WA. I'm
wondering why it's doing this? Surely it isn't for nesting material this
late in the season. Are there insects in there, perhaps? I know in south
Florida, where I used to live, the Spanish Moss contained mites and other
small insects. Perhaps the GRJA is looking for food? Comments welcome.
Thanks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/leppyone/9579197866/

--
Vincent Lucas