[Tweeters] Marymoor Park (Redmond, King Co., WA) 2013-08-22

Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Aug 22 13:03:49 PDT 2013

Tweets – we had gorgeous weather today, with the early morning chill (53 degrees) quickly melting away to sunshine and 76 degrees under clear blue skies. A MERLIN spent the day zooming around the park – I think we had 5-6 sightings all told. It managed to scare up a few other birds for us to see.

Highlights:

Common Merganser Maybe as many as 4; first since June
Green Heron Juvenile gave us good looks near the weir
Cooper’s Hawk Juvenile soaring
Spotted Sandpiper Several sightings, but maybe just 1 bird
Band-tailed Pigeon Maybe 3
Eurasian Collared-Dove 1 from lake platform
Barn Owl Matt saw one around 5:15 a.m.
Black Swift Two mobbing Cooper’s Hawk
Rufous Hummingbird Still one hanging out at Pea Patch
Red-breasted Sapsucker Three trees far to the west
Pileated Woodpecker One heard
MERLIN See notes above
Warbling Vireo 1-2 near windmill
Purple Martin Several, probably roused by the Merlin
Bl.-thr. Gray Warbler Lillian photographed one
Wilson’s Warbler Male singing at start of boardwalk
Western Tanager 3+, first since May
Brown-headed Cowbird 3 juvies; probably will disappear soon

For the day, 60 species, the first time we’ve hit that mark in weeks.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com