[Tweeters] Be aware of Tokeland Speed Trap if you are heading down there

Qinglin Ma qinglineric at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 09:18:18 PDT 2013

Hi Tweets,

Yesterday I had a great birding day at Bottle Beach and Tokeland. Got the
Elegant Terns, Great Egrets and many others, but no Bar-tailed or
Hudsonian Godwit. Check the Grave Spit (turn to the shore at 7th St and
park at the sharp corner) if the terns are not at the Marina. Thanks for
this tip from George Gerdts. It was where Tom and I got them.

I was given a speed ticket for 40 miles/hour at a 35 miles zone just
outside of Tokeland. Before I headed to Tokeland, a fellow birder (did not
get his name) warned me about the speed trap near Tokeland. I was
especially careful. When I was leaving Tokeland, there is a region with the
35, 45 and 55 speed limit spaced close to each other. Be very careful at
that region. It is a bit hard to control speed within short distance. I did
tell the policemen that it is a very lowly way to obtain funding. In the
long run it will hurt the community more since it leave a very bad
experience for the visitors or travelers. They already have a bad
reputation out there.

Good birds, great birders but questionable local police.

Qinglin Ma
Kirkland, WA