[Tweeters] Just Another (Great) Day at the Beach

Blair Bernson blair at washingtonadvisorygroup.com
Mon Aug 19 21:41:43 PDT 2013

As is evident from all the posts on Tweeters
today, the Beach Areas from Bottle Beach to
Tokeland were full of great birds and happy
birders. Many of us ran into each other multiple
times and stayed in touch sharing sightings
helping everyone see the many great birds.

George Pagos and I birded together throughout and
also intersected frequently with Michael Fleming,
Cara Borre and Asta Tobiassen, among others.
Highlights of course were the Hudsonian Godwit at
Bottle Beach and the Elegant Terns at Tokeland
Marina (on our second try). While we missed the
White Pelicans, there were many other treats
including Snowy Plovers at Grayland/Midway,
hundreds of Marbled Godwits (but no Bar Tailed
this time), Western and Least Sandpipers, a single
Pectoral Sandpiper (Bottle), 5+ Willets and 12+
Whimbrel (Tokeland), many Semipalmated and Black
Bellied Plovers (Bottle), 2+ Ruddy Turnstones
(Bottle), many Short Billed Dowitchers (Bottle),
2+ Red Knots (Bottle), 20+ Surfbirds (Westport
Groins) and Sanderlings (Grayland).

I am also happy to report that it did not rain, so
I did not even need the rain jacket which this
time I remembered to bring.

Some pictures can be found at
https://picasaweb.google.com/103072475474183849815/BottleBeachAndTokelandAugust192013?authkey=Gv1sRgCL7xmLaz2pWBOg#
.