[Tweeters] Up and Down in King County

Tim Brennan tsbrennan at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 17 18:16:25 PDT 2013

Hey Tweets!

Yesterday at sea level (Discovery Park) - it was pretty slow, with a single Caspian Tern flying by to join the "regulars" at one point. I had seen Common Terns reported recently, but still haven't worked out the timing right to see them in King County.

Today, at 6200 feet above sea level (Snoqualmie Mountain), it was also pretty slow, as mountain birding usually is! The highlights of the hike I made with Randy Bjorklund were the constant presence of dozens of Gray-crowned Rosy-Finches near the summit, and gobs of blueberries and huckleberries. It was a sweaty climb up and a descent that left us tenderfooted. Our main target was White-tailed Ptarmigan, and we were unsuccessful despite an hour or two of careful scans through the talus slopes and snowfields.

Two beautiful days in a row in some beautiful places.

Happy birding!

Tim Brennan