[Tweeters] Re: Juvenile Black Scoters?

Jennifer DeSelle jendeselle at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 16 18:23:47 PDT 2013

I just want to thank everyone for their expertise and feedback on this question.  I knew that Black Scoter was highly unlikely but was unable to find any other juvenile ducks that looked similar.  After reading all responses and communicating with some of you, Barrow's Goldeneye seems the most likely suspect. They were definitely not Harlequin Ducks (wrong habitat and I observed a mother Harlequin and her youngsters at Staircase a couple of weeks ago-- totally different ducks).   The habitat and behavior fit the Barrow's perfectly-- and I was able to locate pics of some juvie Barrow's (post duckling but not looking like an adult female yet) that look like the ducks I saw.  Thanks again, and next time I will bring my camera!

Jen
jendeselle at yahoo.com