[Tweeters] Malheur NWR sightings and Hooded Warbler continues at Cape Horn Trail.

Shep Thorp shepthorp at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 19:20:36 PDT 2013

Hi Tweets,
I just finished a week of volunteering down at Malheur NWR doing brood counts. The Narrows was great for Clark's Grebe, Snowy Egret, and American Avocet. The boat ramp at HQ was very active with Black-crowned Night Heron, White-faced Ibis and Black-neck Stilt. The bird diversity and numbers were very good at Buena Vista Ponds, Krumbo Reservoir, Benson Pond and Knox Pond with waterfowl, shorebirds, wading water birds and arial water birds (Greater Sandhill Crane and Black Tern). Ruh Red Road was dry and quiet. I observed Red-shouldered Hawk at Double O Ranch, HQ, Buena Vista, Benson Pond and Page Springs. Page Springs was very birdy with Yellow-breasted Chat, Lazuli Bunting and Lesser Goldfinch. Hundreds of Long-billed Curlew at Double O and fields around Burns. Raptor alley on 78 between Crane and Princeton had plenty of Golden Eagle, Ferruginous Hawk, Swainson's Hawk, Red-tailed Hawk and Prairie Falcon to enjoy. Lots of fun as always.
On my return I stopped at the Cape Horn Trail east of Washougal and was surprised to find the Hooded Warbler still active in the area previously reported approximately 1/2 mile in on the upper trail just below a recently restored switch back one switchback below a set of wooden stairs. The bird was calling away with other species calling in the same area.
Good birding,
Shep

Shep Thorp, VMD
The Animal Emergency Clinic