[Tweeters] American Redstart - Pierce or Thurston County

Jim Danzenbaker jdanzenbaker at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 16:12:21 PDT 2013

Tweeters,

I just returned yesterday from birding with a friend of mine from Florida
to interesting birding destinations in northwestern Oregon and western
Washington. The only species that I will provide information on was a
female type AMERICAN REDSTART which was on Cemetery Road E. just before it
forks into Cemetery Road E and Lillie Dale Road which goes south/west from
route 7 between the towns of Alder and Elbe on the border of Thurston and
Pierce County. Sighting time was approximately 6:30pm. Nice variety of
birds in the area. At the end of Cemetery Road was a congregation of no
less than 400 Violet-Green Swallows. From google maps, it looks like this
was probably in Pierce County but could have been Thurston - both show
American Redstart with <5 records. I have a feeling it was a quick in and
out as the bird showed up after we had been birding there for 45 minutes
and then was gone.

Go out and BIRD!

Jim
--