[Tweeters] King county magpie, vashon shorebirds

Tim Brennan tsbrennan at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 8 17:31:30 PDT 2013

Hi tweets!

Pete Fahey and I made a successful run down to Auburn to see the very cooperative Black-billed Magpie this morning. We continued to Vashon Island, hoping for shorebirds; we struck out on red-necked phalarope on both ferry crossings, but at our two other main stops we had:

KVI beach: 4 Least Sandpipers, 2 Greater Yellowlegs, 1 Lesser Yellowlegs, 1 Killdeer

Fern Cove: 4 Killdeer, 4 Spotted Sandpipers, 1 Dunlin

Nothing too unusual, but it seemed like there had been few reports from vashon with migration in full swing.

We also had a Heermanns Gull from the ferry terminal at the north end of Vashon, the first of the year in king county for both of us.

Tim Brennan
Renton