[Tweeters] puyallup grackle

Jeffrey Bryant jbryant_68 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 8 16:10:46 PDT 2013

For anyone who doesn't find the grackle in the park...
This AM about 10:30, the only yellow-eyed black birds on the wet grass were a handful of Brewer's Blackbirds.  Within a few minutes of my arrival at the small parking area on10th Ave. NW, however, a male GT Grackle, with a harassing crow in hot pursuit, flew in from the north.  It perched in the top of a purple-leafed plum tree in the fenced backyard closest to the parking lot, then continued westward to the front yard, then moved on westward to a clump of trees (two big red cedars, a walnut, and a mountain ash) on the NW side of the corner of 10th Ave & 18th St, where it spent a long time half-hidden in the middle-levels of the branches.
Given the Great-tailed Grackle's incredible range expansion over the last 40 years or so, I just started to wonder if he was a scout.  Sam Peach Park and vicinity seems to be a welcoming area for relatively recent people-friendly colonists, as evidenced by good numbers of Western Scrub-jay and Eurasian Collared-dove.  Sign of things to come???

Jeff Bryant
Seattle
jbryant_68 AT yahoo