[Tweeters] Fw: Westport pelagic, Aug. 5

Bruce Labar blabar at harbornet.com
Wed Aug 7 17:11:49 PDT 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: Bruce Labar
To: Tweeters
Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 9:42 PM
Subject: Westport pelagic, Aug. 5

Despite choppy seas, fog in the morning and some early drizzle, our Westport pelagic trip still managed to encounter some great sightings on this past Sunday. With the lack of pelagic birds due to these conditions our course took us nine miles north to intercept three shrimp boats. We were rewarded with many Pink-footed Shearwaters and our first Flesh-footed Shearwaters of the season. Other highlights include a dark morph Pomarine Jaeger, Parasitc Jaeger, South Polar Skua, Sabine's Gulls and Tufted Puffins. Mammal highlights included Humpback Whales and Dall's Porpoise.
Here are some of the species and numbers from the off shore.

Black -footed Albatross-29, low number.
Northern Fulmar-103
Pink-footed Shearwater-1764, our highest number for this time of year.
Flesh-footed Shearwater-2
Fork-tailed Storm Petrel-25
Leach's Storm-Petrel-1
Red Phalarope-3
Sabine's Gull-3
South Polar Skua-3
Pomarine Jaeger-2
Parasitic Jaeger-1
Scripp's Murrelet-2 , seen only by one of the spotters
Cassin's Auklet-118, very good numbers
Tufted Puffin-3

Leaders for Westport Seabirds were Scott Mills, Michael Donahue and myself.

Bruce LaBar
Tacoma, Wa.
blabar at harbornet.com