[Tweeters] Surprise Lake and Surprise Mountain birds (King Co.)

Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Tue Aug 6 22:13:40 PDT 2013

Tweets – My wife and I did a two-night backpacking trip to Surprise Lake, a few miles south of Stevens Pass in King County. We did a day hike on Monday from the lake up to Surprise Mountain. This area is really gorgeous. The trail from the old townsite of Scenic up to Surprise Lake goes through a beautiful old-growth forest. From Surprise Gap, there are awesome views of Glacier Peak. From Surprise Mountain there’s a really good view of Mount Daniel.

Birdwise, it was a pretty good trip, with some “eastern Washington” birds showing up on the “wrong” side of the crest, including MOUNTAIN CHICKADEE and CHIPPING SPARROW (several immatures) on Surprise Mountain. There were also some good mountain species: SOOTY GROUSE, CLARK’S NUTCRACKER and GRAY JAY.

The best birds were at least two AMERICAN THREE-TOED WOODPECKERS that were near our tent on Monday morning. This morning, I heard ATTW drumming next to the lake before 7 a.m. as well. There were also HAIRY WOODPECKERS along the lake.

Also at the lake were an AMERICAN DIPPER and a SPOTTED SANDPIPER.

Down in the first couple of miles of trail up from Scenic, there were MACGILLIVRAY’S and WILSON’S WARBLER, and PACIFIC-SLOPE and OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER.

VARIED and HERMIT THRUSHES, and PACIFIC WRENS sang almost a constant chorus everywhere.

It was a really nice trip, with 33 species of birds. It’s about 4.5 miles (and more than 2000 ft. of elevation gain) from Scenic to Surprise Lake, and another three or four miles to Surprise Mountain (with another 1800 ft. of gain).

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com