[Tweeters] my Yellow-billed Cuckoo anecdote

Stewart Wechsler ecostewart at gmail.com
Sun Aug 4 14:14:27 PDT 2013

While we are talking about Yellow-billed Cuckoos, I'll tell my
Yellow-billed Cuckoo story. When I was 11, 12 or 13 in my first 3 years of
seeming 24-7 birding and bird study, in the early 70's, I still remember
seeing my first Yellow-billed Cuckoo on Long Island, NY. It was the bird
that struck me the strongest, of any bird before or since. There was
something about the way it just stood there, in a stately manner, and the
size just a bit bigger than other birds that weren't crows or raptors, that
I might expect to see in a tree in the forest. At the time I didn't
realize it was more closely related to the owls, the Strygiformes, than to
the perching birds and "songbirds", the Passeriformes, and that it was in
its own order the Cuculiformes.

-Stewart Wechsler
www.stewardshipadventures.com