[Tweeters] Peregrine Healing

jeff gibson gibsondesign at msn.com
Sun Aug 4 13:22:29 PDT 2013

While I enjoy my fellow humanoids in small numbers, I'm not much of a herd animal. I tend to avoid various crowd-producing events like rock concerts, fairs, sport events, and stuff like that. Well yesterday the crowds came to me.

That's because my Northwest Neighborhood in Everett sponsored it's annual 'Mother of all Garage Sales". Dozens and dozens of homes in my hood participate in this feeding frenzy of consumers who have the unfortunate desire to get something for nothing, or close to it. The resulting traffic and parking, and cheap-deal, rage, along with herds of inattentive pedestrians seemed to create quite a bit of stress it seemed to me. I locked myself in my nice cool basement, cleaned my desk, and talked to the spiders down there.

Alas, I did get some of the event on me, so to speak. As I was enjoying my cool basement, I received a phone call plea for help from the totally overloaded event organizer. Some participant had dropped her car keys in a port-a-potty in the park right next door to my house. Could I go and try to get them out? Sure, I'd try.

So I walked out the back door and across the alley, and checked out the scene. A line of scowling biddy's waiting in line for the outhouse were just about as attractive as the port-a-potty contents. Alas the keys were not visible - sunk in that wonderful stuff. Ignoring a bunch of criticism and unhelpful advice from the crowd, I got a shovel out of my truck, and in one lucky scoop managed to get the keys out, and then washed them off - probably not quite good enough it seemed. Oh well, nobody's perfect.

I returned to my quiet basement and the more pleasant company of spiders.

Later, in the evening, the event was over, the crowds, traffic, and a lot of junk was all gone. It was calm, sunny and back to the 'hood's usual peace and quiet. My wife and I were walking the dog down Grand Ave. , right near the bluffs above the Everett waterfront, when out of the corner of my eye I saw a largish dark bird heading our way fast! It was flying so low, under the branches of the old street trees, that my immediate thought was "Coopers Hawk". But no, it was a Peregrine, and only about 15' above our heads as it zoomed over, at a rapidly accelerating rate to the edge of the nearby bluff where it turned on a dime, headed straight down and disappeared below the bluff. Wow!

The trials and tribulations of a day double-dipped in doo-doo,were just washed away by the wings of a falcon. My curmudgeonly frown turned upside down! Smiling continued on the walk back home. I had been healed.

I have watched Peregrines hunting the shorebirdy mudflats below the bluffs before. I'd seen them soaring above the bluffs nonchalantly, before going into a power dive on the flats below. But this bird was a real stealth bomber, flying fast and low through the neighbor hood several blocks back from the bluff, getting that acceleration going before that sudden dive. Pretty cool, especially from 15ft away!

Jeff Gibson

Everett Wa