[Tweeters] New AOU check-list changes and Washington birds
mattxyz at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 4 11:03:39 PDT 2013
Hi all -
Passing along a couple links with info on the latest AOU check-list committee decisions, released yesterday. The 54th supplement is out in print, though not on the website yet:
These two blogs talk at length about the decisions:
I haven't yet seen the supplement itself, but from those blogposts, here's what I could glean:
For Washington, the changes and non-changes of note look to be:
1. Say hello to our newest name for the WA list: Sagebrush Sparrow --- Sage Sparrow was split into Bell's and Sagebrush -- 'our' Sage Sparrows are now "Sagebrush Sparrow"
2. Lots of re-re-organization and re-categorization of the shorebirds -- no lumps, no new common names, but a lot of new genus assignments and shuffling for the shorebirds.
3. Jaegers & Skua , along with Alcids are now listed ahead of gulls & terns
4. Flammulated Owl gets its own genus [no more a screech-owl]
5. Mimids reorganized [for us , the Gray Catbird, Brown Thrasher, Sage Thrasher & Northern Mockingbird, in that order].
6. Re-organized order for : House, Purple & Cassin's Finch [of the genus Haemorhous, recently pulled out of Carpodacus].
Non-changes mentioned but not adopted:
a. No lumping of the Rosy-Finch
b. No splitting of White-breasted Nuthatch
c. No splitting into smaller groups of the Canada/Cackling Geese.
I think that about covers it -- gonna take some work to update the checklists for the next round!
More information about the Tweeters