[Tweeters] Boeing Ponds - Shorebirds, Aug. 3

Carol & Lynn Schulz carol.schulz50 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 3 20:19:25 PDT 2013

Hi Tweets:
It was a great day at Boeing Ponds today, Sat, Aug 3. Dave Swayne walks around the pond on work days, and sent a msg that he was seeing a lot of shorebirds there, including a Semi-palm. Sandpiper. He also saw a Northern Mockingbird there on Aug 1 and Aug 2. I went down there at 10:15 today. Birding seemed slow, I only saw one Pectoral Sandpiper. But if a brown harrier, or an osprey flew over, a lot of birds would fly, including shorebirds. I stood on 62nd Av and looked down at a lot of mud. After awhile more birds flew in. Then Gregg Thompson visited w/ his big lens camera. He walked down on the mud and started taking photos. He sat behind bushes and did not disturb the birds. By afternoon, he had seen 10 spp of shorebirds. I saw 9, because I never saw a Western Sandpiper. Other people dropped by and also got good looks at a lot of the birds.
Shorebirds seen by me: Semipalmated Plover - 1. Killdeer - 2. Spotted Sandpiper - several, including one juv. Greater Yellowlegs - 3. Lesser Yellowlegs - 3. SEMI-PALMATED SANDPIPER - 1. Yes! Least Sandpiper - 3. Pectoral Sandpiper - 3. Long-billed Dowitcher - 12. Gregg saw more Lesser Yellowlegs, and saw one Western Sandpiper. He sent gorgeous photos of the juv. Semipalmated Sandpiper that he saw today. I can fwd the pix if anyone would like to view them.
After most people left, a Virginia Rail started racing out of the bushes onto the mud, and then back into the bushes again. At first I didn't know what it was. I've never seen that behavior before. It seemed to be tearing around out there, occasionally pecking at the ground. A Green Heron flew up from the bushes along the shore by the main road near the blocked-off 62nd Ave.
I never saw the Northern Mockingbird that Dave saw the last two days in the bushes along the south side of the ponds.
For directions to Boeing Ponds in north Kent, see www.rainieraudubon.org Click on Going Birding? Then on Boeing Ponds, and also on Kent Ponds.
Yours, Carol Schulz
Des Moines