[Tweeters] Wa coast shorebirds

Steve Giles giles.steve at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 3 20:16:29 PDT 2013

There was a nice diverdity of shorebirds at three spots at the coast today.

At Bottle Beach between 8:30 and 11:30 there were good numbers of Black Bellied and Semipalmated Plovers, Short Billed Dowitchers, Marbled Godwits and Western Sandpipers. There were a few Least Sandpipers, 4 Ruddy Turnstones, 2 Dunlin, 1 Whimbrel, 1 Red Knot and 1 Semipalmated Sandpiper.

At the Westport Marina at the end of float 21 was 1 Bar Tailed Godwit in among about 300 Marbled Godwits.

While I was sorting out the Godwits Graham Hutchinson (my apologies if I have your name wrong) found 5 Willets at Tokeland. They had left by the time I got there.

I spent several hours in the afternoon at the ponds at the end of Midway Beach Rd. Here there were both Yellowlegs, Least and Western Sandpipers, Killdeer, Short Billed Dowitchers, 1 Semipalmated Sandpiper, 1 Pectoral Sandpiper and 1 Solitary Sandpiper. Note:to access the shorebirds you have to walk through a stretch of 12" deep water so boots are advised.

Steve Giles

Seattle