[Tweeters] Off-topic, mostly: Seattle wasp species that build paper nests

Dennis Paulson dennispaulson at comcast.net
Thu Aug 1 12:25:02 PDT 2013

Trileigh,

I believe that is a bald-faced hornet nest, but the photo is of a yellowjacket, Vespula alascensis. They build nests underground or in structures such as buildings or, perhaps, hollow trees. I presume the yellowjackets are using the hornet nest, something I hadn't heard of.

I should add that birds sometimes eat wasps.

Dennis

On Aug 1, 2013, at 12:03 PM, tweeters-request at mailman1.u.washington.edu wrote:

> Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 19:33:41 +0000

> From: "Tucker, Trileigh" <TRI at seattleu.edu>

> Subject: [Tweeters] Off-topic, mostly: Seattle wasp species that build

> paper nests

> To: "tweeters at u.washington.edu" <tweeters at u.washington.edu>

> Hi Tweeters,

> I'll start with a birding observation for legitimacy: I have seen several Rufous Hummingbirds near Lincoln Park in West Seattle this year, both in the park and, more commonly, at my feeders and on my yard flowers. There don't seem to be as many as in previous years, unfortunately.

> There is a beautiful football-sized paper-wasp nest near my house˜characteristic of nests built by bald-faced hornets. However, these wasps don't look like that species; these are narrow-bodied with many thin yellow segments in the abdomen (photos at flickr.com/photos/trileigh). Does anyone know what other Seattle wasp species build such nests?

> Thanks as always,

> Trileigh

> Trileigh Tucker

> Lincoln Park, West Seattle

> Natural history website: naturalpresence.wordpress.com

> Flickr page: flickr.com/photos/trileigh

-----
Dennis Paulson
1724 NE 98 St.