[Tweeters] July 2013 TUVU report

Diann MacRae tvulture at gmx.com
Thu Aug 1 09:37:40 PDT 2013

Hi, Tweets

July is the laid back month when turkey vultures are nesting, raising young, or just enjoying a single life. It's great to get reports that tell what these birds are doing. In the coming August (lots of young birds with blackish heads) and September (the biggest, but not only, migration month for our vultures) there should be a lot more turkey vultures in the air. Following is the report for July 2013 in Washington.

July 2013 turkey vulture report to Tweeters from Washington:

01 – 1 on the Blewett Breeding Bird Survey
03 – 1 on the Arlington-Darrington Hwy MP 24; 1 at MP 24 (same road); 1 over the Sauk River at Bryson Road
04 – 1 from the Cape Horn Trail on the WA side of the gorge
05 – 2 at Capitol Forest SP
06 – 4 over Skamania on Hwy 14; 1 at Bonneville Dam/ 1 at Catherine Creek; 1 at Balch Road near Old Hwy 8
07 – 23 on the side of the road and then flew up into the trees near Glenwood; 1 at Randle; 1 at Packwood
09 – 1 at eye level near Alderwood Inn, Hood Canal at 7:30pm
10 – 1 at Mazama; 4 at Winthrop; 1 at Nisqually NWR
12 – 2-13 near the Marblemount salmon hatchery; 1 over hay fields by Rockport
15 – 8 over the San Juan Islands (probably Lopez)
25 – still 2 by the Marblemount hatchery; 1 two miles east of Marblemount over a fresh cut hay field
27-- 1 at I-5 & Hwy 12 west; 3 at Cape Horn; 1 at junction of Canyon Creek/Washougal River Roads
28 – 3 above the Anacortes ferry station; 2 above Friday Harbor; 45 riding ridge thermals over Camas

Thanks so much for your continued reports. They are a good indication of vultures in our neck of the woods.

Cheers, Diann

Diann MacRae
Olympic Vulture Study
22622 - 53rd Avenue S.E.