[Tweeters] Fwd: Nisqually Today

scrubjay323 at aol.com scrubjay323 at aol.com
Mon Apr 29 19:27:43 PDT 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: scrubjay323 <scrubjay323 at aol.com>
Sent: Mon, Apr 29, 2013 1:58 pm
Subject: Nisqually Today

Tweets,

I took a quick run down to Nisqually this morning to see if I could find the BLACK-NECKED STILTS and found them easily in the new pond just pass the maintenance gate along the new dike. I did not find the YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD. Like most of the other birds it was probably trying to keep out of the wind, which was strong. My scope almost blew over out on the dike!

Along the way I managed to pick out a couple of ORANGE CROWNED WARBLERS and a couple of YELLOW WARBLERS out of the hundreds (thousands?) of YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS. I also saw first of the year VAUX'S SWIFTS both at the visitor center and at the twin barns.

I located one of the adult GREAT HORNED OWLS in the alders just past the twin benches along the Nisqually side and found a SWAINSON'S THRUSH along the woodland stub. It appears Spring migration is in full swing.

In addition to the STILTS I also saw GREATER YELLOWLEGS and WESTERN and LEAST SANDPIPERS.

All in all a worthwhile trip to the refuge...especially since I won't be there this Wednesday.

Until next week...

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at aol.com
360-970-6323