[Tweeters] Myrtle Warblers & FOYs, Thurston Co

Paul Hicks phicks at accessgrace.org
Sun Apr 28 07:20:52 PDT 2013

Tweets, Saturday was the quintessential spring day: trees and flowers in bloom, birds galore, and an inspiring text from my daughter wishing me happy national birdwatching day -- I don't need even that much encouragement. Birded around Tenino in the morning, in the afternoon worked my way toward Olympia and my office. Lots of FOYs, at least since Wednesday (some migrants arrive here well after locales nearer Puget Sound): McG's (1) & Wilson's Warblers (3), Hammond's Flycatcher (3-4) in cottonwood/alder, single Lincoln's Sparrow in two woodland spots, Chipping Sparrow pair on territory; plus Vaux's Swift and Purple Martin in Olympia and Weir Prairie. Could not find Warbling Vireo or Townsend's Warbler. Nice to encounter 3 Hermit Thrush. A good day for "Myrtle" Warblers, at least 10 moving through, including a group at Capitol Lake, compared to 2 "Audubon's" seen. (My FOY Myrtle was a half-singing male Mar. 30.) The previously reported Canvasback, a gorgeous male, continues near the freeway on upper Capitol Lake. 83 species for the day. Good birding!
Paul Hicks / Tenino / phicks AT accessgrace DOT org